PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What's in a cliche'?

Be forewarned. One probably shouldn't blog when they haven't slept in 6 days. Please don't stop supporting me because I've had a bad day. I'm a cynic for a bit.

cli⋅ché

1.a trite, stereotyped expression; a sentence or phrase, usually expressing a popular or common thought or idea, that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse.

Once upon a time there was a girl who got dumped. Okay, so this is the story of a 1,000,000 women. I remember the first time a cliche' really touched my life. I believe it was in middle school and I was in youth group watching a Dallas Holm or Wayne Watson (can I get a shout out for Dallas or Wayne?) video about, "When God Closes a Door, He'll Open a Window". I was moved to tears and thought, "How true." So today I was wondering, "How did I get so cynical over cliche's that I too once tossed around like a ball at Wimbledon?"

My new definition of cliche is "what people say when they have no idea what to say". Okay, so I'd love to hear from you about your opinions on "cliche's" and perhaps what are some of your favorites. You can add them to my list.

"Let Go. Let God." (Sure. And?)
"They're in a better place." (my unsaid response, "Yes, but i want them here.")
"You aren't married because you don't put yourself out there." (Where is "out there"? Is it Wal-Mart? SuperTarget? Egypt? Even that little mouse sang a song about it and he doesn't know where "out there" is either, only that it's narrowed down to "underneath the same big sky")
"Time heals all wounds." (While this is true in certain circumstances, I just don't like it. I'm cranky.)

All right. All right. I'll go take a nap and get a little more spirit-filled and then write a nice blog.

Beth

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure this a cliche but it bugs me.
"Your standards are too high." Really? You want me to lower my standards? Do you also want to pay for a divorce lawyer?

Pam Archer said...

This is classic Beth sense of humor. The line about the mouse is hilarious! You have a way with the written word, darling girl. Can I share your blog?


"You aren't married because you don't put yourself out there." (Where is "out there"? Is it Wal-Mart? SuperTarget? Egypt? Even that little mouse sang a song about it and he doesn't know where "out there" is either, only that it's narrowed down to "underneath the same big sky")

Post a Comment